Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Training Goals for Isis This Summer (2013)

I’m just sitting here thinking about my training goals for Isis this summer. I really want to set some concrete goals for this year even though not all of them will get done within the summer. It's just making me really really want to be in the new house.
Here’s what I’m hoping will be accomplished with Isis this summer:
  • Heeling - Of course, I'll be working on heeling. I really want Isis glued to my leg like Schutzhund style heel. She's doesn't really have a good Loose leash but she doesn't pull either unless she is faced with a trigger. I'd really like to get her heeling to work towards her CGC and make it almost a default behavior.
  • Attention Work - Yep, I've gone and poisoned my "watch" command so I'm retraining my main attention command as "Eyes". I'll be using Sue Ailsby method for that.
  • Passive Human Interaction - I'm not saying she is going to love people but dear lord, the goal of the year is to be standing near a person with no problems. Not touching, no interactions. Just standing within a couple of feet of someone she hasn't really met that well.
  • Nose Work - I'm going to be working with the 3 pups on Birch plus it will give them something to do and entertain their minds. She already know "Find it" for treats in the yard so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for her.
  • Go To Place/Crate - So Isis can go to her crate about 60% of the time at 8-10ft but it's not enthusiastic enough for me. I'll be order Crate Games to help with that a bit. Place is any where I put her blanket which is usually left in the living room.
  • Recall - I seriously am getting sick of being ignored by her in favor of barking out of the window. Seriously sick of it. Right now we have a sick management plan for both girls but accidents happen and I want to be prepared in case any of this happens outside.
  • Emergency U-Turn - For use on walks. Right now, I'm just grabbing her collar and walking in the other direction to get away but she is getting suspicious of why I keep grabbing her collar so change of cue to just be another random thing mommy does on walks.
  • Some Weird Issue That Will Suddenly Develop - Now, we all know Isis isn't an angel by any stretch of imagination so she'll probably act weird and some crazy new annoying behavior will pop up within the year. Maybe, I'll attack her alarm clock barking while I'm at it.


Please Share
What your training goals are for the summer. Do you have an issue that you are struggling through too? I’d love to know that I’m not alone in this sea of crazy dog. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment